Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a kitchen aid dishwasher Kudp02frss1. The door popped

Customer Question

I have a kitchen aid dishwasher Kudp02frss1. The door popped open while washing. I first replaced the latch and switch Assy. The door still wouldn't latch, I found the balance ropes broken on both sides and replaced them, still no. I replaced the seal. With no seal it latches fine, but with new seal it still won't stay latched...? Any ideas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! If you open the door all the way, does it lay flat or slope down?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Appears to lay flat
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Okay, good! Was the seal recently replaced?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep, last night
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It seems like it closes easy until just before it closes and then it gets tight. I have to push kind of hard to get the latch to click but then it just pops back open.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Ah, okay. The new gasket is putting a bit more pressure on a worn in latch. The latch will probably need to be replaced. I have seen customers use a heavy chair or tape the door shut for a few days to help "break in" the new gasket but you may find that unacceptable. So, the latch will likely need to be replaced and is available below. You can try to bend down the striker a bit to help latch more securely but that is not real successful. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The latch is new, I started with that part when this problem first occurred
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could the hinges be messed up?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Not likely if it lays flat when opened all the way, but possible if the latch is new.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Does the hinge look like the one at the link below, paying close attention to the part on the right side of the picture, specifically, the angle to the other part? CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe so. I don't have it pulled out now but that looks like it
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
When you installed the seal, did you get the bottom edges tucked in like the old ones were?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, the new one was about 5/8" long though so I did trim that off
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Hmm, okay. What was the part number of the gasket you replaced?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(###) ###-####
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
That is the correct seal, thank you. Was it popping open initially with the old seal in place?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, but when I took the old seal out and closed it then it stayed latched just fine
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Yes, no pressure is being put on the latch with no seal. Does the striker (link below) appear to be in good shape and not bent? If you bend it to catch a bit more, does it help? CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep it is new and no bending doesn't help. I've tried that. Just tried again
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Sounds like the hinges are about the only thing that could still be causing the issues with the door closing. Part number(###) ###-####&(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm going to wedge the door shut for the night and see if it breaks in the seal enough. Very frustrating problem
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
I agree! At the cost of the hinges, I would try that, too! However, if it did that with the old seal, I am not expecting great results but keep me posted!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay thanks, ***** ***** work I will get back on and do the rating. Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** nice evening!