Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I HAVE a Thermador downdraft vent Model CVS36RS when the switch

Customer Question

I HAVE a Thermador downdraft vent Model CVS36RS when the switch is pressed to bring the vent up it will come up and then go down. It will continue to do this until the on/off switch is activated again. It will not stay in the UP mode. Is it the Motor Gear Switch or something else??
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Either one of your limit switches has failed, the up down switch has failed, or the arm that rotates around on the lift motor is sliding off and needs to be re-installed to hit the limit switch. Now the first thing to do would be to start the downdraft so it starts lifting, then unplug the downdraft. Remove the on/off button, just disconnect the wires. Plug the downdraft back in and see if it continues to go up and down. If not then replace the up/down switch because it thinks your'e holding the button constantly which means it has a stuck contact inside. Next, if the up/down switch isn't the problem, you'll need to take the downdraft apart and see if the lift arm is sliding off the motor pulley. If so, then just loosen the locking nut and put it back on the shaft properly. Otherwise, replace the limit switch that the arm hits when the downdraft is in the UP position. There are 2 limit switches so be sure to replace the one that is triggered when the unit is in the UP position. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?