Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Maytag Bravos masher about five years old. when you

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Bravos masher about five years old. when you put clothes in and try to start the load , its makes one maybe two clicks then the lid lock light begins to blink and you smell it getting hot. any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing so that is the part I would replace if you can't pull up the error code. The actuator often times fail to move to the correct position so the washer won't start a cycle and that is why the lid lock starts to blink indicating there is an error. Below is a link to the actuator as well as a video at the bottom of the link which shows you how to replace the part. CLICK HERE for actuator Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence. a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1/2 second.b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second. Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well I tried, several times! But I was unable to get the "done" light to come on.
Hmm, below is a video that might help. But if you can't get the error to come up, I'd just replace the actuator as I mentioned before since that is by far the most likely cause. CLICK HERE for video