John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Have Viking professional dual fuel 48" duel oven.

Customer Question

***** *****. Have Viking professional dual fuel 48" duel oven. Left oven started buzzing and began self cleaning cycle while baking at 350. Exhaust fan also engaged which I think is due to the self cleaning.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Vdsc4856qss model
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Did it actually get hot like as in self cleaning and what did you have to do to get it to shut off? Where was the noise coming from?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was already baking when a buzzing starter (sounded like back left which would be behind the smaller oven on left) and the "cleaning" started. This engaged the lock on the door and the fan.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Did it stay heating until at self clean temperature?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At this point I rotated the temp knob higher and lower to see if some threshold had to be met to start the self cleaning. It seemed binary. Meaning, it it illuminated the light indicating heat, the the latch engaged again and the fan began.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I brought the temp down and the light went out, the latch would slowly release to allow the door to open.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
So the issue is with the control part of the electronics, not a mechanical issue, like a welded contact in a relay.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Will it start a regular bake setting now and operate as designed?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not turned it back on since the incident. I could try to cycle it again but thought it best to leave alone until solved. I won't be able to check until I get home in an hour or so.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
It is either the main control or the interface (the knob control) that has failed. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine which may be failing with 100% accuracy. I suspect the issue lies with the main electronic control, though. How old is the range?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 6 years.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the main electrics a standard mother board w connectors?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Okay, no warranty left, thank you. Let me know what happens when you attempt to start another bake setting, please.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Yes, it is all plug in connectors.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do. Thx Kelly
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.