Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I have a Whirlpool Stove Model GS440LEMQ2 that shuts off while

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Stove Model GS440LEMQ2 that shuts off while baking, and sometimes while pre-heating. The burners work fine.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My wife will be baking, and in the middle of the baking the oven will shut off. Sometimes this occurs during pre-heat also.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No that is all.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and personally did not receive that money. The only way I am credited is when you use the STAR/VOTE RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. Lastly when we are done please post to me that you would like me "GURU" credited before supply the rating so there is no confusion on the tech to be credited for the question. Thank you! Do you hear it try and relight...the click click click click noise and then stop?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The oven preheats fine. When it starts baking, it bakes for a while then shuts off. The word "heat" disappears from the control panel and the flame goes out. After several minutes the flame reignites and the word reappears on the control panel. We have had meals come out partially baked.
Ok typically this is an ignitor electrode issue, can you remove the bottom plate in the oven and the burner manifold plate to get at the electrode?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I have removed the bottom cover to see the burner
Ok get to the electrode rod and you will likely see it discolored and kinda corroded. Clean the rod and the small triangular tip where the spark jumps from the rod to the tip off really good with sandpaper. Make sure they are lined up then see if it happens again, if not great and then you can just order and replace the burner electrode assembly it comes as a kit. CLICK HERE All I ask is please use the star rating system to rate my service thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I see the electrode on the right side of the burner
Yes clean that off you may have to take it off to clean it or just replace it.