Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My rinse aid compartment on my dishwasher won't let me fill.

Customer Question

My rinse aid compartment on my dishwasher won't let me fill. Seems clogged, but can't see how that could have happend? I did take a wet dry vac and tried to vac up any clog but nothing. Why would it not be filling?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
So first, I want to make sure that you understand how the rinse aid compartment works. You just fill it full, then it takes about 50 cycles or so to empty. Then you refill etc. It doesn't use much rinse agent. If the rinse compartment does get clogged, it's not accessible so the entire dispenser would need to be replaced because the compartment is sealed so it's not just something you can clean out. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my question was, why is it not filling? What could be the issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think it's clogged.... How could that happen?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Putting the wrong kind of rinse agent in can clog it. Sometimes people will add dish soap on accident since it's the same color. Either way, if it won't allow you to fill it then either it's full or it's clogged. All you should need to do is remove the cap and start filling and it should drain into the reservoir. If not then the reservoir is already full or it's clogged. if it's clogged you'd need to replace the dispenser.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?