Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

My husband heardsomething like a tting the bottom of the

Customer Question

My husband heardsomething like a nut hitting the bottom of the diswasher door, and now it won't open at all. It's a Whirlpool SDF 5000. Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The door won't open at all.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appliance Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I know, except that it happened suddenly.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 6 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
And SFD5000 is NOT a whirlpool model number of any appliance.

How old is this unit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How about SDU-5001 or -7001 or -8001 or -9001? Or DU8900XT series? Those suggestions are the only ones I can find. And the best guess of the date is 1990-95.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still working on my question?

I`m not online 24/7 Just Answer is my third job during the weekdays.

And the DU8900XT is it or it is a model number for a dishwasher.

If the door latch has broken inside the door . you can try just forcing /pulling on the door to get it open ,or if you take a wire clothes hanger and bend the top loop/ hook into the shape of the letter L .and put the hanger on top of the door so that the short end of the L gets behind the door at the center of the console you will need to hook the door strike that is mounted on the top of the tub of the dishwasher and raise it up to unlatch the door .

those are the only way you will get the door open when a part of the door latch has broken.

And once the door is open you can get to the screws on the back side of the door and open the console up to be able to replace the door latch assembly.

I then looked up the door latch assembly part number(###) ###-#### ***** with the door handle assembly part number(###) ###-####and they are both shown as no longer available from the manufacture .

So you will need to get the door open by pulling on it of the wire hanger trick ,but none of the door latch /handle parts are available to be replaced from the manufacture.