Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Dryer wont start, timer makes buzzing noise when start

Customer Question

dryer wont start, timer makes buzzing noise when start button is pressed and held. i am getting 120v to motor , but voltage goes away when start button is held
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: dryer wont start. timer makes buzzing noise when start button is pressed and held.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: motor is getting 120v but voltage goes away when start button is held
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
AGD4475TQ1
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

I apologize, I had to leave. Unfortunately, nobody else picked up where I left off. The buzzer you are hearing is energized by the centrifugal switch when the motor stops. So, there is a contact in the motor switch that has issues and the motor will need to be replaced.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to be clear, the buzzing is coming from the timer, not the motor.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will a bad motor cause the timer to buzz
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

It is the end of cycle signal buzzer that is buzzing and it is energized by the motor winding as it is de-energized and the centrifugal switch changes when the motor stops. So that means that the motor centrifugal switch is not in the correct position and is only available as part of the motor.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Does your model have a cycle end buzzer, it is showing as optional on the wiring diagram.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Are you sure it is the timer buzzing? Does it feel like it is vibrating when it makes the noise?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No buzzer. Why do i get 120 volts to motor before i push start button?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

If you have no buzzer then the timer is faulty. There is a bad contact inside. The wiring diagram is attached, it shows an optional buzzer, sorry for the misinformation.

Timer