Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag neptune MGD5500AWW making a loud squealing

Customer Question

i have a maytag neptune MGD5500AWW making a loud squealing noise from the front, have already replaced the front glides
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Typically on this model, the noise is coming from the idler pulley next to the motor. Remove the pulley wheel and look at the center shaft. If it's orange or rusted at all, then you need to replace the idler pulley wheel. Lubricating doesn't fix the problem for longer than a day or two typically. Other than that, disconnect the belt and run the dryer without the belt connected. If it still squeaks, you'd need a new motor.

Now if neither of those things appear to be the issue and you already replaced the front glides, replace the front felt that goes around the drum and the only thing left after that would be the 2 rollers in the back, but I can't see that being the problem if the noise is coming from the front.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?