Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a maytag washer top load and when it has a large load

Customer Question

I have a maytag washer top load and when it has a large load in it it makes a grinding noise bit only when it has a large load in it and it's coming from the transmission area, what could it be
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

If it's making a grinding noise only during a large load and only when it's agitating, that is a problem from the transmission itself. Transmissions parts are not sold separately so it doesn't matter what is wrong with the transmission exactly, the transmission would just need to be ordered and replaced if you wanted to fix the issue. It's starting to strip out or slip with heavier loads and it will get worse as time goes on. Unfortunately it'll cost about $300 to replace the transmission if you wanted to fix the issue. Otherwise it's best to just replace the washer typically when the transmission goes out.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?