Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Hotpoint topload washing machine has taken to not

Customer Question

My Hotpoint topload washing machine has taken to not agitating. The motor runs. The agitator holds still. If I push down on the agitator, it engages and turns. Otherwise the motor runs and no action.
What does it take to fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

If you push down on the agitator and it works, it either means that your transmission is getting into gear or the agitator/hub is striping out. You'll need to remove the agitator and inspect to see if anything is stripped out below the agitator. These agitators are actually very difficult to remove. They are only held on by friction, but they do just pull straight up. GE has a tool which is similar to a bicycle inner tube which slides under the agitator and inflates to push the agitator up and off. Since you don't have that tool, you would likely need 2 people to just grab under the bottom of the agitator and pull up really hard.

If the agitator doesn't looked stripped out once you remove it, you'd need a new transmission which is about $300 to have replaced and maybe not worth fixing but that is up to you.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?