Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I am ***** *****. My wife was trying to replace a microwave

Customer Question

I am ***** *****. My wife was trying to replace a blown microwave light. There are two under the microwave. The second light when touched came back on. She tried to turn off the light and it blew. Now the entire microwave has no power. Is this a fuse or the relay for the light control?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tested the fuse and it seems to be fine. I tested the thermostat and it has no continuity
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

There is an in-line 15 amp fuse wired into the power circuit. If you send me the brand name and model number, I look for the necessary technical information I need to assist you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is a GE Model JVM1750.
I have tested the fuse. I have continuity one the fuse. I do not have continuity on the round thermal fuse. I am not sure why the lights would cause this to blow. I see on several sights that this could be the cause.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The thermal fuse you are testing is probably the fan switch. It only closes when the heat from the cooktop below gets too high and then it closes to turn the vent fan on. If the microwave was plugged in when you replaced the bulbs, it likely damaged the main control board. Do you have voltage at the fuse and to the control from the fuse?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fuse has continuity across it. I have not tested from the fuse to the board. I will check it. If the board is fried, at a price tag of $125, that pretty much cooks this unit.
The unit was plugged in while the bulbs were removed. The second bulb was unscrewed a little then screwed back in. It was at this point that the unit stopped working completely. Why would the fuse not blow in this situation? I thought it would be designed to save the board.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK I have no idea what to check on the board.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Test the power on the wires on the large black relay on the board, measuring from each wire to ground. Do you read 120 VAC?

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.