Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag Refridgerator. I came home this afternoon

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Refridgerator. I came home this afternoon and food in freezer was defrosting or melted. Ice in ice machine was leaking out and onto the floor. The unit seemed to be running louder than usual. Items in refridgerator portion seem cold. A couple of hours later the unit is quiet.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

If you heard the unit running and it was warming up, then you don't have a thermostat issue or a defrost control issue. If either of those were bad, the refrigerator would have been 100% silent when it was warming up. Now I know it's quite now so maybe it's in the middle of defrost or something like that but if so then it should kick back on in an hour or so.

As for the unit warming up while running, that means you have an issue with your compressor itself. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?