Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have GE model DCVH515GF0WW. 2005 gas dryer. When I try to

Customer Question

Hi. I have GE model DCVH515GF0WW. 2005 gas dryer. When I try to start it says "drying" but nothing happens. After about a minute or so, the timer goes to 0:00. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

So first, the dryer shuts off and goes to 0:00 because the dryer isn't running causing the wet clothes to touch the humidity sensor so that it will continue to run.

Either way, it sounds like your belt has either broken or your control board has failed. You would need to take the dryer apart to make sure the belt is still attached. If not, then either re attach the belt or replace the belt if it's broken. If it all checks good, you'll need to replace the main control board. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to take the dryer apart so you can check the belt.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Neither of those were the case. I ended up having to bring someone here and he found that the coils were shot so the dryer wouldn't run, which is a safety feature. His necessitated purchasing and installing new ones.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Actually that can't possibly be the case. The coils can stop the dryer from heating but would never stop the dryer from running. Now the motor could be shot if that what he means, but that is really the only other option and if the motor was bad you'd hear it hum and not run.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is replacing them tomorrow so I will let you know whether the dryer again runs as a result. Thanks!
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 6 months ago.

Hi I am Joel a different tech, whenever he replaces the coils and that does not fix it and you still need help I will be glad to assist you, thanks, ***** ***** know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was the coils. The machine now works.

ok glad to hear it.