John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

My maytag dryer is making a grinding noise and it wasn't

Customer Question

my maytag dryer is making a grinding noise and it wasn't doing that yesterday
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: well it just started about 15 minutes. I was trying to dry a new load of clothes and it started making a grinding noise and it started to smell like something burning.
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no that's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Will you please send me the model number, so I can find the necessary technical information I need to assist you? Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where would I find the model number?
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

It's printed on an i.d. label that's usually attached to the edge of the door, or the frame it fits into.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the model number is *****
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK. Thank you. Can you tell me where in the dryer the grinding noise seems to come from?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it makes the grinding noise from near the back of the dryer and then it starts to smell like something is burning.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Your dryer has 2 problems. First, the drum support rollers are jammed, and not turning. Second, the drum drive belt is melting at the motor drive pulley. There is a parts kit available to address both these issues. Type the words "maytag sde3606ayw parts" into your Google search box. When the website selections are on the screen, click on the left photo of the parts kit, and order it. The kit will include instructions for how to replace the parts correctly.

If you need any more help, please get back to me. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
alright thank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how many of the drum support rollers would I need just the one?
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

There are two rollers in the kit.