John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a 2008 GE microwave oven. It was functioning

Customer Question

I have a 2008 GE microwave oven. It was functioning perfectly until a couple of days ago when the entire control panel went dark. It was as though it was unplugged. But, if course, it wasn't. I checked everything externally, but everything seemed okay. I then proceeded to remove the main metal shroud covering the body of the oven. After examining the insides for signs of burnt wires, etc., I noticed that there was a 'fuse' in the rear near where the power cord enters. I checked the fuse with a continuity checker and it was blown. I purchased an exact duplicate from my local appliance part store and installed it. I then reassembled everything and plugged it in. Everything seemed to be working again. Unfortunately, as soon as I tried to actually heat something up in it, the whole thing went dark again. As a result, I assume that there is something wrong with the part that actually emits the microwaves.
Is this something that can be fixed/replaced? (A comprable new microwave is about $170.)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 6 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Let me bring the model info up I will be right back in a minute or two!

Ok Do you have a volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it?

To be able to test any of the high voltage components.

And after you replaced the fuse ,did the control display light back up also?

And when it went dark again how long did it run for before going out after you programmed it and pressed start and it started up ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yes, I have a multitester, and I feel relatively confident using it to determine voltage AC & DC, as well as resistance.

Yes, the control panel did light up properly after I replaced the fuse. Furthermore, the audio feedback functioned properly during programing.

After programming the oven to do an actual heating run, I pressed "START". The fan and light came on as though everything was working normally. However, in less than one second before the fuse blew out again leaving the oven dark and quiet. This was the first test done immediately after replacing the fuse.

ok you will see the High voltage transformer pull the primary leads off from the main control board and ohm out the primary transformer windings to see if it is shorted to chassis ground..

And then the magnetron can also be ohmed out to see if the windings have continuity and if they are grounded to chassis

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I'm afraid its going to be a little while until I can do that. I've just had something come up here that I have to deal with. Sorry. I'll get back you.

no problem at all!

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!