Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Whirlpool duet washing machine, error light came on during

Customer Question

whirlpool duet washing machine , error light came on during cycle, after unplugging and trying to restart, the door will not unlock it only clicks and the cycle will not restart due to door clicking and not letting it restart.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 6 months ago.

Hi there I am Joel and will be helping you today,

In most cases the door lock assembly will have to be replaced, but you can try manually unlocking the door first and see if it will work right, if after manually unlocking it and restarting the cycle you still get the same problem the door lock assembly will need to be replaced. Unplug the washer and remove the bottom panel off the front of the washer, reach you arm up inside the washer on the right side where the door lock is located, at the bottom of the door lock there is a plastic tab, pull down on that tab and the door will release. Let me know if you have any questions, in the meantime if you will give me the model number of the washer after you get the door open , I will get you the replacement part number for the door lock in case you need to order a new one. PS make sure the washer is not full of water before you open the door, if the washer is full of water and not draining properly then the door will not open for safety reasons, but if the door lock is steadily clicking and the cycle will not start and its full of water you may want to empty some of that water with a wet vac first if you have one.

Let me know how it goes, in the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed, thanks so much!

After rating/voting for my service you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just one of the technicians on the site that is here to help answer your question. If you feel my answer has been informative and has helped you then please be sure to rate my service at this time.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.