John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator Mod# EB9SHKXVQ02 the freezer

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator Mod# *****
the freezer is working fine but the fridg is not as cold as it should be and seems to be getting worse/warmer.
Also about every hour there is a strange door cricking sound that sounds like is coming from the upper part of the fridg. I also notice ice building up behind the vegie drawers.
we've been having symptoms for a while. last month I cleaned it inside and out including coils underneath and completely defrosted the unit which seemed to help but it looks like the cycle is starting again.
any advice you can pass along would be welcome
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. This sounds like a bad air damper door. Can you feel air coming out of the slots at the top of the refrigerator compartment? Is that where you hear the noise?

Do you see frost on the rear wall of the freezer? Since you said you defrosted the refrig and it worked for a while it could be a defrost problem. Any frost on the back wall should be no more thick than you could skim it off with a fingernail.