Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My name is ***** *****. oven doesn't work. It's a GE XL44.

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. oven doesn't work.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a GE XL44. The stove works but the oven doesn't. I', not sure what is wrong with it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this a waste of money, talking to you?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
This isn't a waste of money, I'm a real person and can tell you what is wrong with your appliance. Just give me a moment to type please
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you.