John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We purchased a GE Adora refrigerator from Home Depot 3 years

Customer Question

We purchased a GE Adora refrigerator from Home Depot 3 years ago and on March 24, the refrigerator is not cooling but the freezer is fine. Can you advice what we can check to be the issue please? thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 11 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

open the freezer door and look on the rear interior wall do you see any frost or ice ?

and do you hear the fan in the freezer running ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no frost or ice and the fan is not moving

ok if you have no ice or frost and the fan is NOT running but you say the freezer is working fine??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

And you never hear the freezer fan running at all?

If you open the fresh food section on its rear interior panel do you see any frost or ice on it?

And is the Fresh food section fan running?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just looked at the back of the freezer again, and now the fan seems to be working and I can hear it. I will check at the back of the fresh food bins now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found frost on the bottom left of the fresh food bin

ok if you have frost on the fresh food section that the unit is not defrosting automatically as it should.

Which the defrost system has three parts to it .

The defrost heater ,the defrost thermostat and the main control board .

Do you have a volt -ohm meter and know how to use it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we have an ohm meter and my husband knows how to use it

ok the defrost thermostat on the Fresh food section coil and the defrost heater is there also .

The defrost heater should have continuity and the defrost thermostat will only have continuity if it is below 45 degrees.

To gain access to the Fresh food section coil you will need to remove the rear fresh food section panel .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is the panel inside the refrigerator?

Yes it is the rear interior panel in the fresh food section.

here is the parts break down the thermostat is item #240 the heater is right below the coil it is item #761

The cover #799 needs to be removed.

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagramenlarge/4/00143300/1527614/224990

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think we found the panel. it almost at the center of the part of the level of the fresh food bins. do we simply pull the cover? there is no handle

it has 6-8 screws on the outer edge of the panel.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found a cover with 5 hexagonal screws, but the shelf of the fresh food bins is also in front of it. this looks complicated if we start removing the shelves attached to the walls of the ref. this is if I am looking at the right one.

Yes that is the correct one.

The shelves just canter lever up in the front and lift up and out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you mean nothing to unscrew to remove the shelves?

correct the front of the shelf just lift up at an angle lift the back about 1/4 inch and pull out toward you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can I send you a picture of what it looks like now that the shelves are out? also, we had to unscrew the shelves otherwise, it won't come out. The cover is across the witdh of the back of the fresh food bin. I want to make sure that we're talking about the same thing. thx

sure you can send me a photo! just use the attachment icon .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent two pictures one is a picture of the back of the fresh food bins with a cover and the other is a picture of the inside of control panel. My daugther found a black wire that is disconnected.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sent two pictures one is a picture of the back of the fresh food bins with a cover and the other is a picture of the inside of control panel. My daugther found a black wire that is disconnected.

The black wire is not disconnected it was just taped to the bottom of that control it is an extra wire inside one of the wires in the door fail.

Yes that is the panel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the panel has 4 screws. it looks like the side parts will need to be removed also in order to open the panel. is that right?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We need to do some errands. Can I call you later? If I click call me, can we schedule the call to be later not right now?

Yes you can schedule a call anytime you would like .

and I`m online today until 5 pmEST