ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Refrigeration tech that can and knows how to fix from small ice personal ice makers to large freezers, Also know furnaces.

My Whirlpool refrigerator has been leaking water from the

Customer Question

My Whirlpool refrigerator has been leaking water from the freezer down onto the refrigerator shelves for about 4 months now, and yesterday the ice maker stopped making ice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The defrost drain is plugged and the reason for the leaking water. The drain is behind the rear wall inside the freezer and under the floor. You can totally disassemble the freezer to access the drain to manually thaw it or you can leave the doors open for a natural thaw. That may also solve the ice maker issue if the fill tube is frozen. If you look at the "fingers" that eject the cubes, are they pointing up and to the right?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
First of all, I totally defrosted the refrigerator and freezer one day right after it started leaking water and it still has the same problem. There are no fingers showing in the ice maker. (They are laying down in the crevaces.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Did you allow 24 hours at least for thawing because that drain line is buried in the cabinet insulation? If the fingers are not pointing up and to the right, that is the problem. The ice maker control head is faulty. The head is available as a separate part but the entire ice maker is only about $20 more. Which link would you like?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I am not paying for anything. You have not helped me at all. And you better not charge me for anything on my credit card.
Expert:  ApplianceMAN replied 7 months ago.

Hello cathy, Thanks for using Just answers, Did you get this issue resolved?