Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

On my Maxima XL washer: The drain plugged up and flashed

Customer Question

On my Maxima XL washer:
The drain plugged up and flashed error. I shut off the power and cleaned the drain. When I plugged it back in it started up and pumped out the remaining water, then continued to hum like the pump was running with no water. I left it for 10 minutes and it did not stop. Unplugged and waited a while before powering up again...same result.
Also, no power light or status screen...just a couple of indicator lights.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a Maytag Maxima XL Steam Washer

open the washer door the model /serial tag on on the face frame

all appliance information is looked up in the manufactures data bases via model number.

I can not look anything up just by a design name

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mod: MHW7000AW2

Thank you let me look the model info up give me 2 minutes.

when you turn the unit OFF and have no power light but hear the noise of something running and a couple of indicator lights on ! what lights are on ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, when I turn it ON, it makes a sound as though the pump may be running in the back with no liquid...this does not stop until I unplug.
While this is going on there is no power indication on the front panel other than the door locked led...this led went off after I manually unlocked the door.
The only other led is the drum light indicator that comes on when the door is open.

And have you seen an F error code in the display?

Ok I was only going on what your first post stated !!

(When I plugged it back in it started up and pumped out the remaining water, then continued to hum like the pump was running with no water. I left it for 10 minutes and it did not stop. Unplugged and waited a while before powering up again...same result.
Also, no power light or status screen...just a couple of indicator lights.)

so you turn it back on and it sounds as if the pump is running and you say it has no water in the unit.

What type of detergent do you use? HE or non HE type.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Originally there was one displayed, I believe it had to do with not draining properly.
After I cycled the power the indicator blanked and has been blank ever since
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
High Efficiency

ok so it would have been a F9-E1 long drain or a SD error code

Ok So you do use the HE how much per load?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure of the exact amount, but it is less than 1/3 of the "max" indicator
Definitely well within the approved amount

ok if the washer is in fact empty and the washer thinks it has water in it that means that the pressure switch has a issue .

Are you able to remove the washers top panel ?

If so the pressure switch in on the right rear corner turn the unit off remove the rubber hose from the pressure switch turn the unit back on and let me know if the pump is running still?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Removed the pressure switch and the tube from the back of the switch
When I cycled the power back on the pump started up again and still does not stop

ok I`m sorry it looks as if the site is having issues with your replies not coming back to me .

so it is not a pump , or a pressure switch issue .I has to be a main control board issue.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Cntrl-Elec/W10692386/3451502?rcaid=1000070 If you have any questions just reply back.