Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

We have a 3 month old ge refridgerator, with bottom freezer.

Customer Question

we have a 3 month old ge refridgerator, with bottom freezer. I opened it today and everything was soggy, the back was frosted up. GE says they cant come out until monday but we have guests arriving tomorrow through easter. Tghis is a replacement from the same model fridge that just broke while under 1 year warranty. Panic!
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: it's under warranty
JA: Our top Appliance Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Appliance Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Appliance Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.

Hi there I am Joel and will be helping you this evening,

The unit has a defrost issue, every 8-12 hours the unit should go into defrost mode and melt the ice off the evaporator coils when the defrost system fails the evaporator becomes a block of ice which is located behind the freezer panel you are seeing the ice built up on, when that happens the fan in the freezer can't circulate the air in the unit properly and causes the temperatures to rise.

Since GE can't get out til monday what you can do in the short term to get it back working , is open the freezer door and put a box fan in front of it for a few hours, this will defrost the unit and it will work properly until it freezes up again, but you should be good until monday after you defrost it.

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed, thanks so much!

After rating/voting for my service you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just one of the technicians on the site that is here to help answer your question. If you feel my answer has been informative and has helped you then please be sure to rate my service at this time.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I can put this question on my completed list. Thank you for your immediate attention in taking

care of this.

If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating or feel I deserve a negative please let me know.

Hi there,

I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, is there something else I can help you with or did you just forget to rate the answer?