Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We inherited a Bosch Axis dryer when we bought our condo(it

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. We inherited a Bosch Axis dryer when we bought our condo(it looks pretty new but who knows?) that cuts itself off every few minutes and shows the filter light on - but there is no lint in it. We have had the vents cleaned. Any thoughts about remedy?
JA: Sometimes, Bosch, appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Not sure how important this is, but when it runs (for the very few minutes at a time) it appears to be heating. We've also tried running it on different levels of dryness, but that doesn't seem to affect performance.
JA: Our top Appliance Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Appliance Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Appliance Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

So these dryers monitor a clogged vent by checking the temperature. First, disconnect the vent from the back of the dryer to make certain that the vent isn't an issue. If the dryer still won't run properly then you know there is a problem with the dryer. If the dryer does run, then you know the vent is either partially clogged or just too long for the dryer.

Now, let's assume the vent isn't a problem. You would need to remove the back sheet metal cover panel in the center on the back of your dryer. Unscrew and remove this panel to expose the heater. There is a thermostat with a reset button mounted to the side of your heater. Be sure the dryer is unplugged and push the button. If you push it and it clicks, then the problem should reset. If it doesn't click, then you would need to test continuity through the heater to make sure the heater has continuity and if not replace the heater. If the heater does have continuity then you'd want to replace the thermistor sensor which regulates the heater.

One last thing since the dryer is new to you. This dryer is designed to stop the motor and reverse directions quite often in the beginning of the cycle and a bit less often later in the cycle. The dryer doesn't actually try to heat until it's been running for about 3 minutes.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We had the vents professionally cleaned earlier this week, and the problem persists. The machine is stacked on top of the washer in a relatively small but well ventilated closet. Unfortunately it is too cumbersome for either I or my husband to pull out so I guess we have just wasted your time and our $.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

I apologize about the circumstances but I do hope you can get the issue resolved sooner rather than later.