Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Freezer keeps going out == Kenmore 25 cubic ft. Model

Customer Question

Freezer keeps going out == Kenmore 25 cubic ft. Model 106.58562890
Freezer defrosted, then went on again, off again for several days, now off, It might have something to do with the ice maker.
I would like to know if that's a possibility and can be repaired cheaply or if it's something worse, like the compressor. It's 17 years old, but I've heard that Kenmores can last up to 20 years.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

So the icemaker definitely wouldn't have anything to do with a cooling problem. Unlike Samsung, there isn't a sensor that can affect the temperature. That being said, you could have a bad thermostat or possibly the compressor is starting to overheat. The first thing you need to do is just inspect the refrigerator when it's warming up. If you still hear the fans running and such, then you know you have a compressor issue where it's overloading and cutting out. Try to clean the coils below the refrigerator and make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If so then you can replace the overload relay on the side of the compressor in case it's getting weak, otherwise the compressor would need to be replaced.

Now if the entire unit is shutting down and it's warming up, you'd want to replace the thermostat inside the ceiling of the refrigerator because it's not kicking the unit back on to cool after it shuts off sometimes.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.