Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a 10 year old Whrilpool Calypso washer, model

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Whrilpool Calypso washer, model GVW9959KQ2 that has performed beautifully its entire life. Lately, when it has finished a cycle, the display will read 7 and require an extended spin cycle. I had a technician here who replaced the mother board which did not fix the problem. Put the old board back and he ran a cycle without soap to flush out the unit. His theory was that I was using too much soap. I cut back on the soap and that seemed to remedy the problem until today when I did a load and thought I used a smaller amount of soap, but the number 7 has returned to the display and does not seem to be finishing the cycle. Thank you for any help you can render.
Ray Paul ***@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

When it pumps out, does the water pump out with force? These machines had an issue with the drain pumps and a new design was made for them. Has it had the new style pump installed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No work has ever been done to the washer so the pump and all parts are original.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thank you! You have gotten some good service from that machine!

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately, the new pump is showing as no longer available and none of the 5 major suppliers have any old stock. So, you may have to modify the old pump. If you lean the machine back against the wall and remove the lower access panel (screws along the edges), the pump is in the right rear corner (facing the front of the machine). The pump will come off the motor after the two metal clips are removed. In the center of the pump is a plastic coupler that has splines that mesh with splines on the motor shaft. That is where the trouble lies, the plastic splines wear and water is not pumped out as quickly as it should be. You can use an epoxy like JB Weld to essentially glue the pump to the motor shaft and should have no more issues with it. Just be sure to allow the epoxy to set for 24 hours before using.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Kelly. I will show this to my tech and hopefully get this remedied. One question though, when the washer first started wanting to repeat the extended rinse cycle, (7) it would finish and then let me run a different cycle to help drain the washer. Now when it completes the extended rinse cycle, none of the cycle buttons will operate. Will following your advice on the drain pump remedy that at well? It seems I may be throwing good money after bad. Thanks again. Ray
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

If none of the buttons are operable at that point, it is probably an issue with the touch pad.

Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. Any change?

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Given the age of the machine, I would seriously considering replacing it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried the hair dryer and so far nothing. But it will let me run that damn 7 minute cycle as often as I want. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I guess I was under the impression that quality appliances would last longer, but what do I know? I disconnected the power and will do so for a day or two to see what happens.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted. Unfortunately, the expected life of today's appliances is less than 10 years!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?