Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

I moved back to the USA and brought my Delongui DC220.CD.

Customer Question

I moved back to the USA and brought my Delongui DC220.CD. Acquired an up & down transformer 1500w and when started the espresso machine nothing is coming out. It looks like there is not enough power. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello, electrical current reverses flow 50 times a second in the EU... it reverses flow 60 times a second in the US, this is called the 'frequency or Hertz, abbrevated to Hz in many cases.)

... a step up and down transformer handles the *voltage* issues... but cannot handle these frequency variations in most but not all cases. If you machine says 50/60hz on its model number label you are in luck.

If your machine only says 50 Hz on its model number label next to the voltage rating, it may very well not work in the US... that said, it will be worth taking to an appliance repair shop in your are for a look.

We can go from here without a time limit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It reads 50/60 Hz and it was working before we sent it. Does it really needs repair?
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, since it is rate for 50/60 hz it should work with the step down transformer you bought assuming machine is rated at less than 1500 watts... watts can be calculated by multiplying the volts x the amps on the model number label... if you can get me those two numbers I can calculate the watts for you.

Beyond that, the load you put on a transformer should ideally be less than 2/3rds its rating, in this case 1,000 watts.

I mentioned a shop not because it necessarily needs a repair, but because it needs to be physically inspected.

Let me know what you think, we can go from there without any time limits.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've attached the label of the appliance.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** work, it may be however that the transformer does not incorporate a ground terminal, that can sometimes have an effect.. tell me how many prongs the transformer receptacle will accept. This is one of the reasons a good repair shop might want to look it over, even in no repair is required.

We can go from here without any time limits.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is the transformer pic
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the picture. The system should work, except for on thing, the *starting current of any motors in the machine will draw a 250% surge that the transformer will not handle.

I notice there is a pump involved, my gut feel is that the pump is not large enough to exceed the surge capability of the transformer however.

This set up need to be seen. It seems most likely that vibration encountered in the shipping process has shaken loose some components in the the transformer or the expresso machine.

Try plugging a lamp into the transformer and see if it works.

IF the lamp works you will need a clamp around amp meter a few other items to do a further diagnosis... if you are not good at electronics etc you will be better off if you can find an appliance shop that do those rudimentary checks.