Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Sears model 253.70342413 ice maker not working. just

Customer Question

sears model 253.70342413 ice maker not working. just replaced water filter.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

On that unit the most common issue for that model is the ice maker system has its own evaporator, behind the ice bin area there is a fan that circulates air to the ice maker if that fan is bad or not blowing it will not allow the ice maker to freeze the water. Click here for image

you will need to check it out and see if the fan is blowing, if not and it is getting voltage replace it:

Refrigerator Ice Maker Evaporator Fan

Part #:###-##-####- click here

However if that fan is blowing and the there is ice in the ice maker mold and its not dumping, let me know. In the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate or vote for my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

After rating/voting for my service you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just one of the technicians on the site that is here to help answer your question. If you feel my answer has been informative and has helped you then please be sure to rate my service at this time.

If you want to rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My ice maker appears to be behind the bin holder. How do I remove the bin holder to get to the ice maker? Does the fan runn all the time?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Joel are you there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

to remove the ice bin you Just pull straight out on it : click here for image

and yes the fan should be running, that is how the ice maker stays cold enough to make ice.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know how to remove the ice bin. The maker is at the very end of the part that holds the bin. Do you have to remove that part separately or is it connected to the icemaker?

Here is a video that shows how to remove the entire assembly, the fan is behind the ice maker:

click here

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The icemaker in the video is totally different. I had to remove 2 screws and 2 nuts to remove the bin holder but it still won't come out because there are wires in the rear that prevent it from sliding out. All the wires I can get to have been removed. It looks like the fan may be frozen in ice.

Ok if the fan is frozen in ice then use a hair dryer to defrost it and you may just want to leave it off and let it thaw out for a few hours, if the it freezes up again or most likely you have defrost issue on the ice maker evaporator causing it to freeze up, either the bi metal thermostat is bad or the heater is bad you can check the heater for continuity if it has continuity then replace the bit metal thermostat, the heater is listed as 24 and the thermostat is listed as 21 in the diagram below:

click here

Please remember to leave me a rating today, thanks.

ok also I found this video, this will help you figure it out this should be your model, I know its says Frigidaire but your unit is frigidaire built so that is why the other video did not help you any, here is yours, and it goes into the ice build up issue as well:

click here

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I can put this question on my completed list. Thank you for your immediate attention in taking

care of this.

If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating or feel I deserve a negative please let me know.

Hi there I was touching base with you as I have not heard back from you and the questions is still opened and unrated was just wondering if there was anything else I could help you out with or if you just have forgotten to rate the question, thanks.