Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Have 18 month old whirlpool electric wall oven. Preheat to

Customer Question

Have 18 month old whirlpool electric wall oven. Preheat to 350. When ready signal beeps, thermometer I bought shows temp of 300. Wait. Wait. Once baking pizza for example, 50-70 degree swings. I know swings are normal but this extreme? Pizza ends up burned on edges, undercooked in center. Same w cookies etc. we've tried calibrating. Oven's own temp readout doesn't match thermometer placed in oven even if calibrated to zero. Inconsistent temp swings. Sometimes maintaining 400 degrees when set on 350.
Please advise. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Do you have the complete model number off the unit?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WOS51EC0AS02
I don't understand how this works. I had Brian, then Tyler Z, then Herbert. Estimated time 8 minutes and now you App Guru?

I only see 1 questioned posted were you dealing with other techs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One question, different tech names & photos popped up, "Tyler Z. is working on your question" etc

Not sure as those techs are not online, have you checked the temperature sensor on the unit? Often that could be the cause of that issue on such a new unit

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I check temp sensor?

You need to remove it from the oven. Look inside the oven and you will see the temp probe sticking through. You need to remove the back panel on the oven or if there is a screw holding it in you can remove it from inside the oven to get at the two wires to it. Test them for 1080 ohms at room temp 77 degrees. If it is not in range replace it.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. I will try to figure out how to do this I guess with a Google search. I have no idea what "in range" means. The case is not finished yet.

I mean inside the oven...if you open the oven door and find the temp probe and see a screw next to it you can remove it without typically taking the rear panel off. If you need more help just post back

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. Had to remove oven to get to probe wires.. Reading 1084. So close that must be in range. I wish it was sensor since it was easy to get to and relatively cheap. What now?

The only thing that could be causing that issue then is the board itself as it reads the sensor to turn the elements on and off, there is nothing else that could cause that issue. You may want to contact Whirlpool and see if they will cover anything under warranty for you. Also if the sensor is cheap I would just replace it and see as I have seen them in range at room temp and go out of range when hot.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There are no error messages on unit. Should there be if board is indeed bad?

No unless the board reads the sensor open or shorted it will think everything is fine

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
3 hours w no answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this what I would be replacing? Range Oven Control Board Part #: W10532437

Sorry for the delay I never saw any of your posts there were some server issues. That is the control that you would need to change out to fix the issue, you can get a a better price on it here. Just post back if you need anything else.

CLICK HERE