Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Maytag refrigerator, flakes of frost in the freezer

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Are the flakes all over or primarily just on the rear panel?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
flakes are all over, on foods, sides are iced.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Okay, so that means there was an issue with the door gasket. It is not sealing or was left open at some point to allow warm air in. Does the gasket appear to seal well now when the door is closed?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
gasket ok; more icing on the right.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Does the drawer slide in and out easily or does it hang up at all? Could the drawer have been left open unknowingly? Warm air in the cabinet is really the only thing that will cause the frost you are seeing, and if it is heavier on the right, that is probably the side that got hung up.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Drawer slide in and out easily; Drawer always closed; More icing this morning. I set settings to -37 vs -38.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

There has to be an air leak somewhere. are the upper door seals sealing well, too?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As far as I can determine, door seals are ok too.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

I suspect the door may have gotten left open or something. Frost can only build if warm air is condensing inside and then freezing on the food product. I would clean all forst and really watch the doors.