Stefan T
Stefan T, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home Appliance Technician at AST Enterprises

I just bought an SHX5AV5_UC Silence Plus 46 dba Dishwasher.

Customer Question

I just bought an SHX5AV5_UC Silence Plus 46 dba Dishwasher. I installed it myself with a high drain loop into the disposal. My connections seem tight but water pours out from under the bottom center of the unit and it does not drain. What should I be looking for as a problem ? Any hints wouild be helpful. TY
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like you're getting back pressure. There is a false wall inside your disposal that you must knock out to allow water to drain from the dishwasher into the disposal. Remove the drain hose from the disposal and stick a flat screwdriver into the receptacle on the disposal. If you feel a plastic wall, use a hammer and hit the screwdriver to punch this knockout plug out. Then you can unplug the disposal and reach down into the disposal, remove the plug, and reconnect everything and plug the disposal back in.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ty for the answer but respectfully ***** ***** something else. I knocked out the drain plug as part of my installation.
How about trying a more non-basic answer please for $55.00 ?
Water is coming from the center bottom of the dishwasher. I have a high loop on the hose. TY.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Too Basic, already did that solution. I need a better answer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Are you sure you connected the drain hose to the correct drain hose outlet? There is a vent hose on the side of the dishwasher that sometimes people try to connect the drain hose too, but that is a condensation hose and it loops up and back down into the drain pan on the side of the dishwasher on the right side and that is how it's supposed to "left alone".

The drain hose is supposed to be connected to the left side where the water intake assembly and such is located.

There really isn't anything else that would cause your issue other than a kinked hose, or a blocked drain due to a knock out plug or you just didn't connect the drain hose properly to the dishwasher.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I am fairly certain (99%) that I did that correctly. I followed the instructions.
I believe it is leaking from one of the seals or perhaps a loose clamped hose connection.
It may be a known problem with this model... Do you have access to a databse of this type of information.
Really so far this has not been worth 55.00
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Yes, I have access, and this is a not a "known problem". If the unit is brand new then it's likely an issue with your installation. Put the drain hose in a bucket to see if it drains into the bucket. If not, then take a picture of exactly where it's leaking out of and use the paper clip to show it to me so I can see why it would be leaking out of that particular area. I understand you're frustrated but please don't be condescending toward me and making inclinations that I don't know what I'm doing. I'm only here to help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** offend but when I pull the unit out again, i want to be able to fix it in one shot. //nothing condescending to you, but do you honestly think what you have told me so far is worth $55.00 ? I got morre info than that looking on the internet myself. Again not to offend and I know some people on here do the basics wrong but I reaslly feel there is something wrong with the unit. Likea The impeller/motor seal.... Drain or inlet connectors... Something cklear water is pouring out even before it gets to the drain stage. The front water inlet is tight.... What else could it be? Last answer if you want to.... But thank you anyway.
Expert:  Stefan T replied 7 months ago.

Hi I am Stefan and I might have some more information for you. Check both the pump to sump and pump to heater gaskets for damage. Damage could have been caused by the motor.

Expert:  Stefan T replied 7 months ago.

If you require any more help please let me know else you can credit my work by giving me a rating.