Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a LG front load washing machine - Model WM2016CW.

Customer Question

We have a LG front load washing machine - Model WM2016CW. Occasionally there is an unbalanced load which can cause the machine to walk across the floor. Shouldn't it automatically shut off or stop the spin cycle when the load is unbalanced? How do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

So the washer tries to balance the cycle as much as it can. There is a sensor clipped onto the motor and if the motor is struggling too much it'll try to rebalance the load again. This feature stops the washer from tearing itself apart and the tub won't get so far out of balance that it's banging into the dispenser or whatnot, but shaking quite a bit or drifting it's really something it'll prevent. For those issue, either the shocks are wearing out and need to be replaced, or the washer isn't level and the feet need to be adjusted and locked to keep the washer level, or you the feet just don't grip well with your floor so it walks when it vibrates. Some surfaces are better than others for friction so if your washer is walking and the shocks don't seem to be a problem below the washer and the unit is level, then get some coarse sand paper like 40 grit with adhesive on the backside from your local hardware store. Cut 4 round 2" circles and stick them to the floor below each foot. This will stop the washer from walking.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.