Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I have a 42" are side by side which has been nothing but

Customer Question

I have a 42" jen are side by side which has been nothing but undependable since purchase in 2006. Have replaced control boards twice ice maker parts three times and still no ice. It has been building up ice and I previously received a defroster part but don't think it is the right part. It is all apart again and I believe the problem may be the heater under the heater drip pan. There is ice under the drip pan. We have new glass defroster heaters for the coil but not sure that is our problem since taking apart drip pan. Is there a way to check the drip pan heater to see if it is working or not? We also have another part to try to fix the ice maker for the 3rd time? Haven't taken it apart yet today. Model JS42SEDBDA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. There is a bulletin for the problem you re seeing. I'm not sure you will be able to access the link since it is a site that requires a subscription but we can give it a try. Let me know if you can get to this link. Drainpanlink

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was able to open the link and see that my unit is on the list of models with the problem. We have already installed the new glass defrost heaters. But have yet to restart the freezer. If I need to order the part suggested in the bulletin how much is it and how long before I can get it? Can I run the refrigerator while leaving the freezer disassembled and waiting for additional part?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I need to order the Domestic or International product for 42"? Not sure about the listing of our model number in the bulletin?

Yours is the domestic. The international is 240 volt.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure I have received complete answers to all of my questions? Not sure if this is the correct solution. I would like a refund of my $45 as I am not at all satisfied with this service. Thank you.

Are you getting ice forming and dripping into the top of the freezer section? This is the common complaint addressed in the service bullitin in the link. If I missunderstood your question please clarify so I can help you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ice has been forming on top of the lighting panel as well as interfering with fan operation.

Yes, that is because the defrost drain is freezing shut. You need to order the kit and follow the instructions to seal the drain area. Here is a link to a picture of the kit. The kit will come with detailed instructions. It is a big job and care must be take to fully seal all areas as instructed but the kit works if installed properly.

Drain kit link

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will you be available when the part arrives to assist us as well as help us with the ice maker problem we still have to address or will it be another charge?

You certainly can reply if you have problems but the instructions are very good and detailed. It is a big job but the instructions are very good. I expect the icemaker issue is unrelated but feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have ordered the part for freezer and will get back in touch when it arrives. The ice maker has had two mother boards replaced and we have changed several parts but the augger still won't operate. the water won't dispense but the light still works. we have new solenoid to replace but that was just one of the suggestions. Ice maker works but not dispenser

The icemaker issue sounds like it will get involved and take some time. We are told to do one problem on each request so you should enter a new one for the icemaker. When there is a simple answer I am happy to cover several but this will not be that easy. Best wishes.