Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a sears model 795.79004.901 which when you close the

Customer Question

We have a sears model 795.79004.901 which when you close the top ref door the bottom freezer door unseals and air enters the freezer and the unit runs all nite and ice's up. what can I do. the unit was mfg in 2011....John
JA: I'll do all I can to help, John. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Don't really know what else to ask about it.
JA: Our top Appliance Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Appliance Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Appliance Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this is a fairly common issue since the air on this unit is shared with both the refrigerator and freezer. That means the faster you close the refrigerator door the more likely it will try to push air out the freezer and pop the door open. Closing it slower will definitely stop this issue but you don't really want to have to worry about the problem every time you close the door. The first and easiest thing to do is to is just add weight to the freezer drawer. That gives more inertia to the door so it doesn't want to pop open as easily. Second, you can raise the feet on the front of your refrigerator so the refrigerator is tilted just slightly backwards and hopefully wants to close on it's own if it does pop open. 3rd, make sure there isn't something already pushing on the drawer like food toward the back of the bin causing the freezer drawer to want to push back out on it's own only needing a little nudge to actually move.

Now if you have done all that and it keeps popping open way too easily, the issue would be with the rails that support the drawer since they are built to have a bit of a pull on them when they are completely closed. The issue is that on your model apparently the rails have already been discontinued. They are part number 4975JJ2009A and 4975JJ2009B, so you can look around and see if you can locate them, but replacing the rails would be the only option left after doing all the things above that I advised.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.