Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Can I wire a whirlpool electric water heater to 120V? model:

Customer Question

can I wire a whirlpool electric water heater to 120V? model: ee3j40rd045v
I know the unit is for 240V.....but I only have 120V. I also know at the lower voltage the heating time would be lowed by 50%.
I'm worried about the electronic controls
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

yes it is possible the only issue is it will stay on much longer and take 4 times as long to heat the entire tank to set temperature not half as long, plus wiring it up like that will void any warranty you may have on the unit, other than that it will be fine.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate or vote for my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

After rating/voting for my service you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just one of the technicians on the site that is here to help answer your question. If you feel my answer has been informative and has helped you then please be sure to rate my service at this time.

If you want to rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I understand that the heating elements are okay with 120V but I was concerned about the 'smart' electronic panel. If it operates on 240V will it function compatable with 120V? I suppose I can try

Well the voltage is not gonna damage the board but, the board may error out and not allow the unit to operate if the board detects there is not enough voltage present and seeing it is a 240 volt system it may just do that but it would not damage the board.