Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My dishwasher, model ADT521PFG0BS won't start. I just get a

Customer Question

My dishwasher, model ADT521PFG0BS won't start. I just get a yellow flashing light. How to I reset it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Try to turn the power off a the circuit breaker panel for 1 full minute, if it does not reset let me know.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Resetting the breaker did not fix this

Can you double check the model it does not come up valid

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
GE
ADT521PFG0BS (that's a zero not an O)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oops. PGF
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ADT521PGF0BS

See if you can get it into diagnostic mode,

With nothing lit and it in Standby Press CYCLE SELECT and START at the same time for 5 secs...if that will not work and that light continues to flash you have a stuck key on the keypad and will need to replace the touchpad on the unit. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I do that, the entire panel of lights goes on and flashes. Then what?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is that diagnostic mode? When all the lights on the panel light up?

Yes all lit leds means door is closed then cance it does it work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope.

OK and just the same light is flashing correct? If so you have bad touchpad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I shut the door and hit start, there is a pause, then the light on the front blinks yellow. Nothing turns on, just the yellow light. When I put the machine in diagnostic mode (holding select cycle and start for 5 seconds), the entire panel of lights turns on but I don't know what to do next.

Ok after all the lights light up do they go out and do any lights remain lit or flashing at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The entire panel flashes 11 times, then the only light that stays on is the yellow "lock control" one.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm about to switch to a new tech on this question. Can you please respond?

Sorry for the delay I was gone all day as I had an emergency.

See if it is on child lock

To UNLOCK the dishwasher control, depending on the model, touch and hold the Heated Dry pad for 3 second or

touch and and hold the Steam and Wash Temp pads at the same time for 3 seconds . The light will turn off to indicate

the control is unlocked

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Child lock control is not on. I can turn it on and off, but it is not on currently. That light, however, is the only that stays lit after putting it into diagnostic mode.

Does the unit start at all? and do all the buttons work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No and yes.

OK so everything inputs like normal correct and nothing starts? If so check the door switch have you checked that yet?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I check the door switch? What am I looking for? What process do I go through to check it?

Remove the inner panel screws to separate the door then you will see the latch and microswitch on the latch with the two wires to it test the switch for continuity when manually tripping the latch or depressing the actuatoe on the switch with a tool.