Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Maytag Mav7700aww will bypass drain and spin,rinse and spin

Customer Question

Maytag Mav7700aww will bypass drain and spin,rinse and spin and will not agitating until the timer hits stop.sometimes it w wash and drain and spin and rinse, but when I open the lid the rinse water is still in the tub. If I catch the washer during a missed cycle and open and close the lid it will run the correct cycle. I have been on another site that it was the timer. I replaced the timer. Still the same problem. Then the lid switch. Still no help. Then I must have gotten a bad timer. I replaced the timer again. Still no good. Same symptoms. I've replaced the motor, drive belt, lid switch, Lid hinge and circuit board the Last few years. does anybody have any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Does the unit ever agitate and you say it does it when it hits stop?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it will agitate all the way to stop without any hesitation when it is supposed to start the next cycle. Most of the time if I open and close the lid during the agitation, but within the next cycle, it will start that cycle. Somebody even said to lube the plate where the motor swivels, but that won't help if it doesn't go into another cycle other than agitation. I'm at whitts end. I can usually fix things, but this machine has about got me.

SO does it seem like the cycle times are off? Is the knob on correctly as it may not be and pointing to the correct cycles.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The cycle times are not off . The knob can only go on one way as there is one wide and two narrow grooves to line up . I'm on my second load of wash this morning and have had to open and close the lid to get the timer to recognize that it needs to be in the next phase , wash-drain and spin ,drain and spin-rinse or rinse-spin. I guess I'm going to go buy another timer today ,but at $125.00 a pop x3 this is getting to be an expensive attempt to fix it . I'm thinking it might be better to just cut my losses and go buy a new one .

Yes given the odd issue I would advise cutting your losses on this and putting it towards a new machine and even sell this one on craigslist for parts to make up some money.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I never got an answer to my problem, so I don't know how to rate something like this.

Given the issue why don't you replace the lid switch that switch is a multi switch and may have a bad contact in it causing the whole issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced the lid switch last week.

There is nothing else other than a timer that would cause this issue then I checked the service manual and schematic so there is nothing else.