Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Barry! My issue with my WhirlPool Gold fridge model

Customer Question

Hi Barry! My issue with my WhirlPool Gold fridge model GX2SHBXVY. The freezer works fine but the fridge portion (french doors) is not cooling. There is no ice accumulation in the interior back wall of the freezer. The freezer fan is running and there is no unusual noise. I have cool the temperature control 2 degree and wited 24h. There was no change. I tried unfreezing and it got better when I pluged it back but after a few days the problem returned. What can I do to get my Fridge cooler?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

So to be clear, you removed the back panel inside the freezer and there is no ice or frost accumulation which means you don't have a defrost issue and since the fan is running, something is just blocking the air from flowing into the refrigerator from the freezer. That means that your damper inside the refrigerator section isn't opening. This is the flap behind the center vent located below the ceiling against the back wall directly in the middle. Below is a link to the damper.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly

Now either this damper is bad or the thermistor which measures the refrigerator temperature is bad. To know which is bad, just listen to the refrigerator. If it runs non-stop, then it's trying to cool and that means your thermistor is working properly because it's trying to cool the refrigerator down. If it stops running often like it think it has reached the correct temperature even though it hasn't, then you have a faulty damper and the damper needs to be replaced. The thermistor sensor is located above the light housing at the top of the refrigerator if you need to replace it. Typically the damper is the part that fails and the flap won't open to allow air into the refrigerator which can be visually confirmed when accessing the damper.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I did not remove the back panel in the freezer. Should I start with this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
definitely remove that panel to confirm you don't have a defrost problem. If it's packed with frost then you have a defrost issue stopping the air from circulating up to the refrigerator.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.

I am a different tech, Barry is not available at the moment,

Check the vents slots on the WHITE lower back panel in the freezer you should be able to see vertical aluminum fins there. If you see white frost in between there you may have a defrost issue. If not and the fins are clear and you can see them them I would check for air flow from the fan and then remove the back panel. Once off check the fan blade and above the fan there is a duct channel, If the door was left ajar the duct channel can get iced or frosted up blocking airflow to the refrigerator. I would check that with an inspection mirror and flashlight to see and use a steamer or hairdryer or unplug the unit for several hours to clear that blockage. With the panel off you can then check the main evaporator for excessive frosting as well if you are actually having a defrost issue.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Please reply back stating you would like to continue to speak with me Tyler Z. since another expert is over posting our conversation in the middle right now

SIr I am Appliance Guru and know this unit inside and out as I am factory trained and work on them in real life not like other online techs only. Just ask for me Appliance Guru for the correct guidance without just changing parts out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
As do I and as am I

Sir I can actually prove that I run and own a real service business. You should ask Tyler for this information.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Please ask appliance guru to opt out if you'd like to continue with me. It's getting ridiculous and I'm sorry you're seeing this

I am sorry for any confusion here, just post back to who you want to deal with when ready

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am very disappointed by the service provide by both appliance guru and tyler z. Their advices and un-professional exchange were very confusing, didn't resolve my problem and left me with more questions that I had. I don't want advices from neither of them.