Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ge mod#gsh22jsxass-frost on ice and bottom of ice bucket-no

Customer Question

ge mod#gsh22jsxass-frost on ice and bottom of ice bucket-no ice or frost in chute- ice one big block
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Frost in only upper section freezer
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Typically when you get the issue you're describing it means that the freezer is warming up too much and then re-freezing causing the ice bin to thaw a bit and refreeze. This will make one block of ice. Now one way to confirm this would be to turn the icemaker off and put some fresh ice in the bucket. If it turns into a block of ice and frost starts to form on the top and bottom of the bucket over the next week or so then that is exactly what's occurring.

There is a defrost sensor that is supposed to stop the refrigerator from continuing to heat if it's thawed all the frost out already and sometimes this goes out of range. It's mounted to the top of your silver evaporator coils. To access, you'd need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer. Remove this white panel in the lower half of your freezer to expose the evaporator coils. Clipped onto the top of the coils is a small white plastic bullet with 2 wires going to it. This is your defrost thermistor. It costs about $10 is all so below is a link to part. If you had a multimeter you could cut the sensor out and put it in ice water to test the resistance. If the sensor was good it should read 16.3 kΩ. If not then it's definitely the source of your problems.

CLICK HERE for defrost sensor

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.