Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

MY GE RANGE BEEPS AFTER EVERY TWO MINUTES AND CODES COMES UP

Customer Question

MY GE RANGE BEEPS AFTER EVERY TWO MINUTES AND CODES COMES UP ON SCREEN. GREEN WRITING (F7) AND RED WRITING (E8)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

So this error means there is a bad connection between the touchpad and the display control board. You'll want to flip the power off or unplug the oven and remove all the screw going into the control panel and remove the back of the control panel from the front. Unplug the ribbon cable coming from the touch control panel going into the back of the display board. Try to clean the ribbon cable with alcohol and a pencil eraser. Re-install the ribbon cable and if the issue continues, you need to replace the touch control pad. The part number for the touchpad is WB27K10117 and it costs about $80-100 or so.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i tried it and still doesn't work.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately cleaning the ribbon cable doesn't always work, it's just something to try to avoid having to replace the touchpad. If you tried it and it didn't work then the touchpad would need to be replaced as I mentioned before I'm sorry to say. The part number for the touchpad is WB27K10117 and it costs about $80-100 or so.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, I am a different tech that specializes in GE products. I am APPLIANCE GURU

These are two different codes, First the F7 codes means the KEYPAD is being sensed as shorted. The F8 code is means there is an EEPROM error on the main control board. When you see both these codes you need to do this to determine which one is bad.

TEST: Disconnect membrane from the control. Power down the power up the range. If the F7 fault condition does not appear within 15 minutes, it indicates faulty membrane -REPLACE MEMBRANE. If the fault condition reappears within 15 minutes -REPLACE CONTROL

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Actually that is not correct. F7 E8 is one error code together and it means the touchpad communication with the control board is bad. That is why the touchpad is the issue if the touchpad has been cleaned and it doesn't fix the issue.

The information Tyler has provided is incorrect these are two different codes and the test I gave you is the test to confirm it. I am a trained GE tech with all the documents on your product.....see the link below for proof of codes and the test.

Always Accurate and Factual.....Appliance Guru!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Actually that documentation shows nothing about E8. F7 E8 means that touchpad is bad. It does show that F7 is a shorted keypad but that's just the generic version of the error and no different that what I originally stated as a bad touchpad.

That is the actual tech doc for the unit and the testing for your unit, as I see the other tech has not linked you a GE doc for your model to support his findings. Further the test procedure I gave will narrow down the bad part rather than just replacing the touchpad off a guess.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Right. What I stated originally is correct. You need a new touchpad.

To the customer:

If you feel the information and documentation along with testing procedure was accurate and specific to your product just let me know. Thank you

Appliance Guru

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

The answer is not different---it's a bad touchpad.

Dear Customer,

If you perform the testing procedure I listed which is here again:

That way you are not just guessing and replacing a touchpad to only find out the control could be bad instead.

APPLIANCE GURU

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

That's for a generic F7 error, that doesn't work for F7 E8, you just have a bad touchpad.

Dear Customer,

APPLIANCE GURU