Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

When I push the start button on my dryer it dings then a

Customer Question

when I push the start button on my dryer it dings then a partial E and 5 appears in the time slot but it will not start
Submitted: 7 months ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

The model number you have listed is a serial number, but you'll need the full model number to look up the parts. The partial "E"5 is actually supposed to be a "tS". What this means is that your dryer thinks your thermistor sensor has failed. Most likely the sensor has failed and will need to be replaced, but you'll want to check the wires between the sensor and the control board to make sure they are damaged. If you have a multimeter, you will also want to test resistance of the thermistor sensor at room temperature to see if it's reading correctly or not. Now without a model number I can't tell you what the resistance should be or the part number, but if you want to reply back with the correct model number located on a sticker just inside the door way I can give you that information as well. On the outside chance the thermistor checks good and the wires aren't damaged, then that would mean your control board is bad because it's not reading the sensor properly and the main control board would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.

Hi there I am Joel a different tech ,

before you go replacing parts that error could also mean you have a stopped up venting system, check your dryer vent and make sure its not stopped up, clean it up with soap and water real good let it dry out and then put it back in, remove the vent from the back of the dryer and run a cycle and see if the error happens again if not you know it's a venting issue not a part failure. If you still get the error then the resistance on the temp sensor (thermistor) should 10000 ohms @ 77°F/25°C if not its bad.

If my answer has helped you please rate/vote my answer on this post thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Actually a clogged vent would never cause this issue. First, the error comes on immediately when the start button is pushed---the dryer has no idea the vent is clogged. Second the thermistor needs to be completely out of range to cause this error, not just a little hot from a clogged vent. High limit thermostats and fuses are in place to stop the dryer from over heating on a clogged vent.