Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

Our Whirlpool duet washer door won't open. We have held the

Customer Question

our Whirlpool duet washer door won't open. We have held the one button down for three seconds as suggested, but still won't open
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 8 months ago.

Hello I am Joel and will be helping you with this problem,

First thing you need to know is that if the washer tub is full of water the computer will not allow the door to open for safety reasons and that is another issue altogether, if the tub is full of water let me know otherwise do the following:

First try unplugging the washer for a few minutes and plug it back up and press cancel to see if the error clears and the door unlocks, if not manually unlock the door:

1. Remove the lower panel under the door by loosening the three screws under the bottom edge on the front of the washer. HINT: If you prop up the front feet of the washer with some small blocks of wood, this will make access to the screws much easier.

2. With the screws removed, the lower panel should drop down then come off. If the panel sticks, a light tap on either side will knock it loose.

3. Reach your hand up inside the washer behind the front casing on the right-hand side. This is where the door latch assembly is located.

4. At the bottom of the door latch assembly is a small pull tab. This is the manual release for the door. Pull the tab straight down and the door will come open.

after getting the door open try to run the washer, it may be fine , if you keep having this issue the door lock assembly will have to be replaced.

Let me know if you have any questions, in the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate or vote for my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

After rating/voting for my service you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just one of the technicians on the site that is here to help answer your question. If you feel my answer has been informative and has helped you then please be sure to rate my service at this time.

NOTE PLEASE READ:

If you want to rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.