Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool washing machine, model wfm 8300sn05

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool washing machine, model wfm 8300sn05 ,type831. I used the level on my phone and it seems to be level but it still creeps and turns sideways slightly with some loads.My wife was told that if it wasn't level it could shorten the life of the machine. Any ideas on what to do next.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

If the washer is level, your feet sound like they are just sliding on whatever surface you have on your floor. To fix this common issue, just purchase some coarse sand paper (like 40 grit or so with adhesive on the back) and cut 3" diameter disks. Stick them to the floor below each foot of the washer and that will prevent the washer form moving around during the spin cycle.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect you have a very common yet often overlooked issue in that the legs are not locked as they should be. Once you level the machine, you must lock the legs or it may walk or come out of balance. The locking nut is shown as number 7 in the diagram at the link below. Once the machine is level, tighten those nuts against the cabinet to prevent them from moving during the vibration caused by the high speed spin.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

It was already stated that the legs have been leveled. Not locking the legs could cause them to go out of balance over time, but right now they have been leveled and Joe is having problems so this has nothing to do with the issue which is why I advised to put sandpaper discs under the legs to stop them from sliding around.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The machine can walk on the first spin cycle if the legs are not locked. Lock the legs and let me know if the results improve.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Only if the legs become unleveled which Joe has stated it is level.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Yes, they will be level at the start of the cycle. Once the machine begins its cycle, they will be allowed to move and become positioned differently. The legs must be locked at the start of the cycle to maintain the level.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

And if the legs are level after the cycle then that has nothing to do with the issue.