ApplianceMAN
ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Refrigeration tech that can and knows how to fix from small ice personal ice makers to large freezers, Also know furnaces.
64612473

Here. My whirlpool side by side got warm the other day (60

Customer Question

Hi ***** ***** here. My whirlpool side by side got warm the other day (60 degrees inside). The compressor would not turn on and I tried lower the temp settings without any results. However, when I pull it out from the wall and the wheels hit a small bump, the compressor turned back on. Seems to stay on for awhile and then go off again with the fridge still warm. Moving it across the bump on the floor seems to cause it to start each time and will stay on for awhile but eventually goes back off again...thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is 6 years old.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Sean F. replied 8 months ago.

One minute please while I look up you appliance info. Mean while please read.

Thanks for using Just Answers. My name is***** come from a family background of appliance service and have over 20 yrs in the field. If you have been waiting, sorry, don't get discouraged. I am one of the techs on Just Answers and might have someone ahead of you. I WILL work as fast I can to analyze your problem and get to you. Please understand that I am not at your home looking at the appliance myself. You are my EYES & EARS! I will work with you to figure out what is wrong with your appliance. I will give you my honest professional opinion of the problem.

******We are on the honor system here. So please remember to rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you don't rate me, unfortunately do not get credit for of the help that I have giving you so please rate me. You can continue follow-up questions at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE after rating my service if you still needing help.

Expert:  ApplianceMAN replied 8 months ago.

looks like we both got this ticket. If sean backs out I will be more than happy to help

Expert:  Sean F. replied 8 months ago.

Its all your HVAC my dinner just came. And I am hungry.

well lets figure this out. Do you have access to a amp meter?

If not we can try a few simple things not requiring this.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a multimeter.

with capabilities of doing amps

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If more than a few amps I will have to connect an induction coil accessory.

alright, so small compressors used to be my specialty for about 5-7 years this is all I did, I am surprised to see a 6 year old one go down.

This personally seems like a bad relay or actual compressor failure.

your going to need to gain access to the back of the unit and also be able to power this fridge up is that possible?

First things first are you hearing any clicking sounds going on? Like the compressor trying to start ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No problem. The unit is actually a little less than 6 years old.

well you may be under warranty still?

Sometimes tampering with the controls can void warranty ? ( lets face it all companies will bail on warranty's for any loophole.....)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't think it is under warranty. Let's just go for it.

Cool.

Alright unplug that fridge slide it out so you can access the compressor, First thing I wanna know is how hot you think it is. (Cold, warm, hot, really hot)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We've had the refrigerator unplugged for a couple hours now. When you say how hot are you frying to the compressor or the inside of the refrigerator?

Compressor itself.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Removed the carport panel at the back bottom of the unit. Compressor is cold. Not surprising because it's been off all day.

plug it in and listen to see if it starts! if it doesnt smack top of compressor or just shake it and see if that starts it. You will only have a few seconds before it kicks itself out on overload, Then it will retry withing a minute or so.

You will know if it kicks out it will make a CLICK sound

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Started right away.

staying on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Staying on for now. Previously when it did this it would stay on for a while and then go off.

alright well let it go and we will see what happens...... These small compressors are really tempermental to power and also start stop

If they get into a cycle where it started to quick and couldnt start sometimes they just keep clicking on overload not allowing it to start why i was asking if was really hot.

does your model have a small fan on backside?

If not have you cleaned the coils either on the back or under it?

any news?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fan is on. Coils are clean and behind the compressor. Compressor is hot. Temperature has normalized inside the freezer. Question is how long does it stay on? Any theories as to why it cuts off after several hours?

well it will stay on till in gets to temperature in fridge,

They shut down when temp is met, Start back up after you open door or something of that nature.

But ill give you a example, I have a deep freeze in my basement, We lose power often. every time power goes to restart the compressor just can not start without me unplugging and wait for it to cool down usually 15 minutes will do it.

This really only occurs if something happens like this or if your in the fridge and it didnt close all the way and it met temperature for just a few seconds and tried to restart.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does not sound quite like what is happening with this unit. Can I contact you tomorrow with follow-up to see what is going on at that point.??

Yeah of course. Ill be at work but if i can ill respond back.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Seems to run for 3-4 hours and then shut down. Temperature then rises toward room temp over a couple of hours and it does not turn back on. Temp on freezer side quickly goes to 10 degrees when it comes on , but fridge side stays at 50. If I unplug it and let it sit for a couple of hours, it comes right back on. Both sides are set at max cold steerings now. Does not seem to make a difference b

Alright let me see if I understand this correctly,

You plug your fridge in it runs till temperature is met, WHEN it shuts down and needs to come back on to get fridge back to temperature after it rose some in the fridge it wont come on unless you unplug and let it cool back down, Does the compressor get really hot?

Just a question but does this plug into a wall or extension cord?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is plugged directly into the wall. The compressor is hot, but don't know if it is unusually hot.
The way I described it above does thst sound like what's happening ?