Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

How do I reset or close the control panel of a Whirlpool

Customer Question

How do I reset or close the control panel of a Whirlpool thin twin LTE5243DQ? It has 2 catching mechanisms (one on each side) that are spring loaded and held loosely in place with Torx t-15 screw.
I have gone to pay the $5 deposit but the system wants to charge me the full amount. Why is that?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Are you referring to the top of the washer how it slides off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, your question tells me that either I haven't worded the question correctly or you are not familiar with my machine.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am very familiar with the Thin Twin, but I am not sure what you are referring to I can make a call just hit the accept for the call.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well, for another $28 I think I will continue with the texting.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The control panel is the panel where the washer and dryer controls are. When the spring loaded clips are released the panel swings open from the top to reveal the backside of all the various controls. That is the state of my machine, the panel is open and I cannot seem to get it to close.

OK so you were able to get the console to flip up but you can not get it to flip back down?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I got it to flip down, closing it requires it to be flipped up. The hinge is on the bottom. However, none of this really matters if you don't know how the spring loaded clips work. It seems that is the case. I just need to know how these spring loaded clips work and it seems that you don't know the answer.

They are just spring clips that press down and slide in place. I will opt out as I can tell you already assume I do not know. stand by for another tech

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! As you turn the screw clockwise, the number 13 pulls down to allow the console to come free to hinge. When you turn the screw (number 15) counterclockwise, the spring pressure pushes number 13 up to secure the console. Is this what you are trying to do?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Finally, a schematic that I can relate to. The screw, 15, and the spring engage with part #31 (a clip?). The screw, 15, comes up through the bottom of the console, then through the spring and the screws into the #31 part. This combination is then manipulated some way to secure the console in position. How that happens is what I am trying to figure out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you tell me what part #31 is? Also, there are 2 of them, one for each side, even though only 1 shows in the schematic.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

That is the lock, that is what secures the console when the screws are turned.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I understand the function of the console lock, but I'm not sure that I have the locks placed correctly because there doesn't appear to be a place where the lock can get a grip when closed. There is a slot in both ends of the lock which grabs on to the frame, but there I can't figure out where the lock grips the panel. I have attached a few photos.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

They are in there right. When you turn the screw clockwise, it brings the lock down, releasing it from the top panel. When turned the other way, they are brought up by the spring tension so that the slot in the lock goes over the panel. Are they not adjusting up or what is the issue?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
For each lock there should be 4 points of contact: the 2 slots that engage the frame top and bottom and 2 points where the lock engages the panel top and bottom. The bottom is fine as that is where the screw goes up through the spring, the top is where the issue. While the top slot engages with the frame, there doesn't appear to be a way for the top part of the lock to engage with the panel. I have added a photo of the lock engaged top and bottom with the frame and bottom only with the panel. From there, when I close the panel, there is nothing that engages the top of the panel which means the panel swings open.