Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE upright freezer, FU 14SVARWW, has been having an issue

Customer Question

My GE upright freezer, FU 14SVARWW, has been having an issue for probably quite a while. Most times when the door is opened, it seems to reset the controller. It beeps and the light inside the freezer flashes off and on. When it closes it beeps and the display flashes and appears to be fine. Then you find out later, it is not cooling. Multiple times, unplugging and replugging it starts it working again. Is the controller board probably bad?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Most of the time, the low temp alarm does not work either. You only know it is not cooling properly because things begin to thaw. Luckily, we use it enough that we usually catch it before it gets too warm.
JA: Our top Appliance Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Appliance Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Appliance Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

So you're exactly right, unfortunately it sounds like your control board is bad. Do make sure the wires aren't damaged or shorting out as they go through the door hinge but if that looks good, then below is a link to the control that you'd need to order and replace for your model.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As you can see from my question, I was pretty confident that I knew the answer. However, Tyler promptly concurred and made it easier to invest $130 for the part with confidence that was the solution... and it was.

I'm very glad I could help and confirm your issue and I'm glad it's up and running again! Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.