Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a gas stove top 4 burner with a grill in the middle.

Customer Question

I have a gas stove top 4 burner with a grill in the middle. This morning after turning on one of the gas burners , it came right on and stayed on, the ignition /spark keeps on sparking, it is a slower snapping sound than the sound when the burners are being ignited. Is this a hazardous situation or just annoying?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

It's annoying, not hazardous. But if the spark module it's detecting the gas has ignited, it will keep sparking. What you can do is is use some emery cloth or fine sand paper and sand the spark tip for that burner causing this issue to make sure the tip is sensing the flame. The flame touches the spark tip hen the burner has ignited and that sends a signal back to the spark module to stop sparking. If that doesn't work, you'd need a new spark module I'm sorry to say.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.