Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE Side by Side, Model GSH22JFZB Flapper won't seal and I

Customer Question

GE Side by Side, Model GSH22JFZB
Flapper won't seal and I got a replacement from Part Select.
The You Tube video shows an appliance that DOES NOT have a light in the dispenser.
I've got the estruchen (SP?) off and the control cover but the white part won't come off and I think it's because of the light fixture. (I've removed the bulb).
I don't want to force it (too much). What's next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please allow me just a few minutes to get you instructions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hey Kelly,The unit is loose on the left side (after removing the four screws) but is pretty well fixed on the right (where the light fixture is).
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Okay, halfway there! Give me just a few minutes so I can see your model.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great. Thanks
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

If you remove the bulb, you can then squeeze the clips that hold the bulb base in place and it will come out and should allow the other side to free up. The picture below shows the tabs on the base assembly. Does it free up with that removed?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I suspected that was a clip, but how do I access the one on the top of the fixture?
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The video below shows how to remove the assembly with the light fixture. Did you get all the screws out?

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

If you still need to get to the other release tab, you can twist the bulb base so it can be accessed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have you got genie fingers??
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

I have the same model you have. I just went and pulled it apart. It slides out fine without the light being removed, you probably have something sticking your right side in place. Can you spray a little hot water in there to loosen any sticking residue? Of course, unplug the door connector or the refrigerator.

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Once the four screws are removed, gently pull out and maybe a bit downward, I had to do that on mine. Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
maybe a bit downward"THAT made all the difference!! (Sorry to have been out-of-touch, the last message got said you'd referred the question to someone else who'd take up to a day to get back.THANKS so much, Kelly. We are getting ready to sell this place and were concerned about a poorly working freezer.Best regards,Mark Sholander - COMPLETELY SATISFIED customer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Excellent, nice work!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?