Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have a refrigerator manufactured in Sept. 2004. Model

Customer Question

I have a refrigerator manufactured in Sept. 2004. Model ETICHMXKB03, with ice maker. About a month ago I had water dripping into the 'fridge from the freezer. It happened over several days and had begun to freeze on the shelves when I found it.
I unplugged it for 48 hours and it worked fine for about 2 weeks.
Today when I opened the 'fridge I heard water dripping and could see it coming out right of what would the middle of the freezer, and running down under the crisper drawers.
Please advise what the trouble would be. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 7 months ago.

every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into defrost mode to clear the ice build up off the evaporator coils ( the lines the freon runs through behind the back panel of the freezer) in the freezer, when this happens a heater comes and melts the ice then the water from the melted ice flows down a drain tube to the drain pan on the rear of the refrigerator, when the drain gets stopped up the water can no longer go down the drain so it backs up in the unit and freezes or runs down to the refrigerator and collects there. To fix this you must remove the back panel of the freezer and look under the evaporator there you will find a hole that the water drains down you will need to use high air pressure like a air hose from an air compressor to blow it out, if you dont have one you can use a turkey baster and hot water or any type of wire that is thick enough to get in the hole yet stout enough to snake out the drain. If the drain has frozen water in it then it would be best to let it defrost before trying to clear the drain. Once you can pour a cup of water into the drain and it not back up you know its fixed properly.

Let me know if you have any questions, in the meantime:

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.

After rating my service you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions you may have for free.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just one of the technicians on the site that is here to help answer your question. We do not get credit for helping you unless you click on the star rating system. So if you feel my answer has been informative and has helped you then please be sure to rate my service at this time. Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.