Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator smells, can't find where the drain is. It is

Customer Question

My refrigerator smells, can't find where the drain is. It is model FRT18G4AWA. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So the drain is located behind the back panel inside the freezer. You'd need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. There is a silver pan below the silver evaporator coils with a small dime sized hole in the middle below that leads to a drain hose which runs through the back wall of the refrigerator and down to that pan underneath which you stated you cleaned already.

The problem with odors is that they embed themselves into the plastic inside the refrigerator so removing them can take a few weeks. I recommend wiping everything down with a rag soaked in white vinegar. Then turn the refrigerator back on and spay Fabreeze inside the refrigerator. Seal everything up to make sure food inside the refrigerator isn't contributing to the odor. Put 2 boxes of baking soda inside the refrigerator (one in the refrigerator and one in the freezer) and it will absorb the remaining odor over the next week or two and then you should be good to go again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?